Whole Genome Sequencing
- Regular price
- Sale price
Basepaws Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) is the most comprehensive method for analyzing entire genomes.
What are the advantages?
- Provides your cat's complete, future-proof genetic information, yielding roughly 10,000 times more data than other DNA tests.
- Captures complex genetic variants, many of which might be missed with other genotyping methods.
- Provides full access to the raw data, in addition to a health and breed report.
- Delivers large volumes of genomic data contributing to the advancement of feline genetics and the discovery of new markers.
How does WGS compare to other genotyping methods?
High-depth WGS is the gold standard in genomics and is the most comprehensive way to obtain genetic information. It decodes 100% of the genome. In contrast, most commercially available DNA tests rely on a technology called DNA microarrays and typically decode only 0.01% - 0.02% of the genome.
- Technology used by most human and animal DNA testing services
- A small, but consistent set of genetic markers is used for genotyping every sample
- Technology used in Basepaws’ cat DNA test
- The genome is sequenced at a low depth, identifying a wide, but variable set of genetic markers
- Genetic markers in areas of insufficient coverage are computationally imputed based on known patterns of marker co-inheritance
- Technology used in Basepaws’ whole genome sequencing service
- The complete genome is sequenced at a high depth (15X)
- All genetic information is obtained
What do you get with our WGS service?
- Your cat's raw whole genome sequencing data on a secure thumb drive:
- genome-aligned data (.BAM file format)
- a variant file (.VCF file format) describing all found genomic variants;
- raw sequencing data (FASTQ format) representing at least 15X coverage of the genome
- A continuously updated online health and breed report
- 1-hour consultation with Basepaws genetics advisor and veterinarian.
Steps to High-Depth Whole Genome Sequencing:
- Sample collection. We will send you a Basepaws CatKit for DNA sample collection. The kit consists of a single buccal swab for collecting your cat’s inner cheek cells. Detailed instructions on sample collection are printed on the inside of the kit. Please wait at least 1 hour after your cat has had anything to eat or drink before using the kit.
- Sample arrives in the lab. You will receive an email when your sample has reached our lab.
- DNA quality check (2-3 days). We will extract your cat’s DNA and perform quality checks.
- Sequencing quality check (4 weeks). We will prepare your cat’s DNA for WGS and perform a low-pass sequencing run to further assess the quality of the sample.
- High-depth whole genome sequencing (3 weeks). If your cat’s sample passes the sequencing quality check, we will proceed with high-depth whole genome sequencing of the sample.
Please allow up to 9 weeks to receive your data. If your sample fails any of our quality checks, you will be notified and advised on the next steps.