Basepaws Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) is a comprehensive method for analyzing entire genomes.
What are the advantages?
1. Provides a high-resolution, base-by-base view of the genome.
2. Captures both large and small variants that might otherwise be missed.
3. Provides your cat's complete, future-proof genetic information; you will not need to re-sequence the genome of your cat as feline genetics develops and new insights emerge.
4. Allows for the discovery of new gene variants that have not been described previously in feline genetics.
5. Delivers large volumes of genomic data contributing to the building of a more robust feline reference genome.
6. 1-on-1 consultation with a geneticist and vet specialist.
Steps to High-Depth Whole Genome Sequencing:
1. Sample collection. We will send you a Basepaws Cat DNA CatKit so that you may collect your cat’s DNA sample. The kit consists of a single buccal swab for collecting your cat’s inner cheek cells. Detailed instructions on sample collection are printed on the inside of the kit. In order to obtain a high-quality sample, we ask that you wait 1 hour after your cat has had anything to eat or drink before collecting your sample.
2. DNA quality check. You will be notified once your sample is received via the email address provided during your online registration and kit barcode activation. Once received we will begin DNA extraction of your sample. Following extraction we will quality-check the DNA for purity and quantity. [Estimated time for Step 2 completion: approx. 5 days]
3. Sequencing quality check. We will perform a low-pass sequencing run of your sample. This will allow us to determine whether the DNA is entirely of cat origin and worth sequencing at a higher depth. [Estimated time for Step 3 completion: approx. 30 days]
4. High-depth whole genome sequencing. You will be notified once we determine the results of the sequencing quality check. Your sample’s genomic sequence content must be of high enough quality in order to continue with whole genome sequencing, therefore if the sample does not meet our quality standards, we will advise you on how to proceed. [Estimated time for Step 4 completion: approx. 30 days]
We store the complete genome as raw data and plan to continuously analyze it as new genetic markers become available.
We will provide an online report and a secure thumb drive with raw data in the form of:
- genome-aligned data (.BAM file format);
- a variant file (.VCF file format) describing all found genomic variants;
- raw sequencing data (FASTQ format) representing at least 15X coverage of the genome.